Trent Grimsey broke the 30-year-old record at the 47th edition of the 36 km Maratona del Golfo Capri-Napoli yesterday in Italy.
Set by legendary Paul Asmuth in 1982 in 6 hours 35 minutes, Grimsey blazed to a 6 hour 29 minute victory in his first marathon swim from Capri to Napoli. Second-place Edoardo Stochino of Italy was also under the old record with a 6:32:46 finish with Italian teammate Andrea Volpini in third (6:36:04).
The trio took off right from the beginning under record-conducive conditions between the island of Capri and Napoli. “We tried to separate from Damian Blaum, Rostislav Vitek and Alexander Studzinski,” admitted Volpini. Stochino added, “We knew we were in shape, but we could not answer the [fast] pace set by Grimsey.”
Spaniard Esther Nunez won the women’s race in a competition that frankly had few competitors in a crowded summer season. But Nunez finished to within 8 minutes of the existing record held by Angela Maurer (7:00:08) using the help of her male colleagues. “After four hours, we were in the group. Then I decided to pick up the pace and stay with the men,” explained Nunez on her eighth crossing in Capri-Napoli which was held under calm seas and good weather.
The final results:
1. Trent Grimsey (AUS) 6:29:02
2. Edoardo Stochino (ITA) 6:32:46
3. Andrea Volpini (ITA) 6:36:04
4. Alexander Studzinski (GER) 6:39:32
5. Damian Blaum (ARG) 6:39:45
6. Evgenj Pop Acev (MKD) 6:45:26
7. Libor Smolla (CZE) 6:46:35
8. Mohammad Saleh (SYR) 6:51:29
Rotislav Vitek (CZE) DNF
Luciano Sales Rubio (ARG) DNF
Alessandro Rivellini (ITA) DNF
Andrea Bondanini (ITA) DNF
1. Esther Nunez (ESP) 7:08:02
2. Anna Uvarova (RUS) 7:19:49
3. Silvie Rybarova (CZE) 7:20:54
4. Pilar Geijo (ARG) 7:33.50
5. Nicoletta Simonazzi (ITA) 8:17.00
6. Vanesa Rita Garcia (ARG) 8:39.11
7. Noelia Petti (ARG) 8:57.11
8. Ivana Sitic (CRO) 8:58.32
9. Gabrielle Trottier (CAN) OTL
Mariana Mello (BRA) DNF
Copyright © 2012 by Open Water Source
Register for FREE and see content that is not accessible to the general public.
Better yet, join Open Water Source as a Premium Member and get full access instantly.
See What You’re Missing!
Subscription Amount: $5.99/month
Access All Premium Content!
Open Water Source… Your complete source for open water swimming.
Register for a Chance to Win a Vacation!
|Open Water Podcast||Presenting the Open Water Vacation Giveaway|
The Open Water Vacation Giveaway is provided courtesy of Open Water Source. Winners will be randomly selected from among those who register in advance for the 2012 Global Open Water Swimming Conference in Long Beach, California (September 21-23, 2012).
Click HERE for more information about the conference.
[SlideDeck id='7594' width='100%' height='300px']
[SlideDeck id='3697' width='100%' height='300px']
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 23rd
North side beach at Marine Stadium in Long Beach starting at 9:00 AM
- 100-meter newcomer swim
- 800-meter swim (½ loop of the Olympic 10 km Marathon Swim course)
- 1 loop of the Olympic Triathlon swim course (1.5 kilometers)
- 3 loops of the Olympic 10 km Marathon Swim course (5 kilometers)
- 6 loops of the Olympic 10 km Marathon Swim course (10 kilometers)
Register for the 2012 Global Open Water Swimming Conference in Long Beach, CA.
[SlideDeck id='1522' width='100%' height='260px']