The world is covered 70% with water … presenting almost unlimited opportunities to do unprecedented open water swims.
Swim from point a to point B, swim across a lake, swim around an island, swim between two islands or across in a channel…outside of the usual waterways like the English Channel or the Rottnest Channel…and it may be that you will become the first person in recorded human history to do that particular swim.
What possibilities are there?
If you consider an island nation like Japan has over 3,000 islands – many of them uninhabited but accessible by boat – the possibilities start become endless. Research the possibilities, plan the logistics, study the obstacles, train and then set off on your own history-making adventure.
Other than Japan, what other island nations offer some unprecedented waterways to conquer and establish your mark on open water swimming history? Here is a short list below:
- Antigua and Barbuda has 37 islands
- Australia has 8,222 islands
- Bahamas has more than 3,000 islands, cays, and islets
- Bahrain has 33 islands
- Barbados is a 34 km long island
- Brunei is located on the north coast of the island of Borneo
- Cape Verde is a cluster of ten islands and eight islets
- Comoros has 4 main islands and many islets
- Cuba about 4,195 keys (cayos) and islets
- Cyprus has 3 islands
- Dominica has 5 islands
- Dominican Republic has many small islands and cays
- East Timor has 3 islands
- Federated States of Micronesia has about 607 islands
- Fiji has 322 islands (106 inhabited) and 522 smaller islets
- Granada has 7 islands
- Indonesia has 17,508 islands, about 6,000 of which are inhabited
- Ireland has hundreds of small islands
And there are innumerable other opportunities around the world.
Copyright © 2012 by Open Water Source
Register for FREE and see content that is not accessible to the general public.
Better yet, join Open Water Source as a Premium Member and get full access instantly.
See What You’re Missing!
Subscription Amount: $5.99/month
Access All Premium Content!
Open Water Source… Your complete source for open water swimming.
Register for a Chance to Win a Vacation!
|Open Water Podcast||Presenting the Open Water Vacation Giveaway|
The Open Water Vacation Giveaway is provided courtesy of Open Water Source. Winners will be randomly selected from among those who register in advance for the 2012 Global Open Water Swimming Conference in Long Beach, California (September 21-23, 2012).
Click HERE for more information about the conference.
[SlideDeck id='7594' width='100%' height='300px']
[SlideDeck id='3697' width='100%' height='300px']
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 23rd
North side beach at Marine Stadium in Long Beach starting at 9:00 AM
- 100-meter newcomer swim
- 800-meter swim (½ loop of the Olympic 10 km Marathon Swim course)
- 1 loop of the Olympic Triathlon swim course (1.5 kilometers)
- 3 loops of the Olympic 10 km Marathon Swim course (5 kilometers)
- 6 loops of the Olympic 10 km Marathon Swim course (10 kilometers)
Register for the 2012 Global Open Water Swimming Conference in Long Beach, CA.
[SlideDeck id='1522' width='100%' height='260px']