The Olympic marathon swimmers have spent years waking up early, going to the pool to swim lap after lap, and training up to 6 hours a day.
The sacrifice is clearly evident.
But there are also men and women who have spent years and, in many cases, decades waking up early, going to the pool and sacrificing much in the pursuit of Olympic success.
These are the coaches of the 25 male open water swimmers qualified for the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim on August 10th in the Serpentine in Hyde Park.
1. Coach Nikos Gemelos of Spyros Gianniotis of Greece
2. Coach (brother) Stefan Lurz of Thomas Lurz of Germany
3. Coach Dmitry Belov of Sergey Bolshakov of Russia
4. Coach Tim Murphy of Alex Meyer of USA
5. Coach Colin Braund of Ky Hurst of Australia
6. Coach Carlos Carnero and Coach Carles Subirana of Francisco José “Kiko” Hervás of Spain
7. Coach Brugse Zwenkring of Brian Ryckeman of Belgium
8. Coach Lucien Lacoste of Julien Sauvage of France
9. Coach Lidiya Vlasevskaya of Vladimir Dyatchin of Russia
10. Coach Hannes Vitense of Andreas Waschburger of Germany
11. Coach Dave Salo and Coach Catherine Vogt of Oussama Mellouli of Tunisia
12. Coach Ron Jacks of Richard Weinberger of Canada
13. Coach Krassimir Toumanov of Petar Stoychev of Bulgaria
14. Coach Emanuele Sacchi (shown above) of Valerio Cleri of Italy
15. Troyden Prinsloo of South Africa
16. Coach Kenichiro Mori of Yasunari Hirai of Japan
17. Coach Valentina Sadikova and Coach Izmail Sadikov of Igor Chervynskiy of Ukraine
18. Coach David Martinez of Ivan Enderica Ochoa of Ecuador
19. Coach Rui Magalhaes, Coach Elio Terrivel and Coach Felipe Coelho of Arseniy Lavrentyev of Portugal
20. Yuriy Kudinov of Kazakhstan
21. Coach Juan Carlos Tenorio of Erwin Maldonado of Venezuela
22. Coach Rick Walker of Csaba Gercsak of Hungary
23. Coach Rick Walker of Mazen Aziz of Egypt
24. Coach Kevin Renshaw of Daniel Fogg of Great Britain
25. Coach Denis Cotterell and Coach Brian King of Benjamin Schulte of Guam
Copyright © 2012 by Open Water Source
Register for FREE and see content that is not accessible to the general public.
Better yet, join Open Water Source as a Premium Member and get full access instantly.
See What You’re Missing!
Subscription Amount: $5.99/month
Access All Premium Content!
Open Water Source… Your complete source for open water swimming.
Register for a Chance to Win a Vacation!
|Open Water Podcast||Presenting the Open Water Vacation Giveaway|
The Open Water Vacation Giveaway is provided courtesy of Open Water Source. Winners will be randomly selected from among those who register in advance for the 2012 Global Open Water Swimming Conference in Long Beach, California (September 21-23, 2012).
Click HERE for more information about the conference.
[SlideDeck id='7594' width='100%' height='300px']
[SlideDeck id='3697' width='100%' height='300px']
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 23rd
North side beach at Marine Stadium in Long Beach starting at 9:00 AM
- 100-meter newcomer swim
- 800-meter swim (½ loop of the Olympic 10 km Marathon Swim course)
- 1 loop of the Olympic Triathlon swim course (1.5 kilometers)
- 3 loops of the Olympic 10 km Marathon Swim course (5 kilometers)
- 6 loops of the Olympic 10 km Marathon Swim course (10 kilometers)
Register for the 2012 Global Open Water Swimming Conference in Long Beach, CA.
[SlideDeck id='1522' width='100%' height='260px']