The Olympic marathon swimmers have spent years waking up early, going to the pool to swim lap after lap, and training up to 6 hours a day. The sacrifices are clearly evident.
But there are men and women who have spent years and decades also waking up early, going to the pool and sacrificing much in the pursuit of Olympic success.
These are the coaches of the 25 female open water swimmers qualified for the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim on August 9th in the Serpentine in Hyde Park.
1. Coach Sean Kelly of Keri-Anne Payne (GBR)
2. Coach Fabio Cuzzani of Martina Grimaldi (ITA)
3. Coach Miltos Kanellopoulos of Marianna Lymperta (GRE)
4. Coach Ken Wood of Melissa Gorman (AUS)
5. Coach (brother) Claudio Biagioli of Cecilia Biagioli (ARG)
6. Coach (husband) Ricardo Cintra of Poliana Okimoto Cintra (BRA)
7. Coach Josef Nalezeny of Jana Pechanová (CZE)
8. Coach (partner) Nikolai Evseev of Angela Maurer (GER)
9. Coach Stefan Lurz and Coach Jean Lagier of Swann Oberson (SUI)
10. Erika Villaecija (ESP)
11. Coach Dave Salo and Coach Catherine Vogt of Haley Anderson (USA)
12. Coach Vajda Tamas of Eva Risztov (HUN)
13. Coach Lv Sen of Yanqiao Fang (CHN)
14. Coach John Rodgers and Coach Linda Kiefer of Zsofia Balazs (CAN)
15. Coach Patrick Carrey of Ophelie Aspord (FRA)
16. Natalia Charlos (POL)
17. Anna Guseva (RUS)
18. Coach (father) Slaven Sitic of Karla Sitic (CRO)
19. Coach Chung Yuen of Wing Yung Natasha Terri Tang (HKG)
20. Coach Kazuko Aoki of Yumi Kida (JPN)
21. Coach (father) Aleksandr Andreevich Beresnyev of Olga Beresnyeva (UKR)
22. Coach Juan Carlos Tenorio of Yanel Pinto (VEN)
23. Coach Matt Magee of Heidi Gan (MAS)
24. Coach Graham Hill of Jessica Roux (RSA)
25. Coach Luis Miguel Chavez of Lizeth Rueda Santos (MEX)
Photo of Claudio and Cecilia Biagolia by Natacio.com.ar.
Copyright © 2012 by Open Water Source
Register for FREE and see content that is not accessible to the general public.
Better yet, join Open Water Source as a Premium Member and get full access instantly.
See What You’re Missing!
Subscription Amount: $5.99/month
Access All Premium Content!
Open Water Source… Your complete source for open water swimming.
Register for a Chance to Win a Vacation!
|Open Water Podcast||Presenting the Open Water Vacation Giveaway|
The Open Water Vacation Giveaway is provided courtesy of Open Water Source. Winners will be randomly selected from among those who register in advance for the 2012 Global Open Water Swimming Conference in Long Beach, California (September 21-23, 2012).
Click HERE for more information about the conference.
[SlideDeck id='7594' width='100%' height='300px']
[SlideDeck id='3697' width='100%' height='300px']
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 23rd
North side beach at Marine Stadium in Long Beach starting at 9:00 AM
- 100-meter newcomer swim
- 800-meter swim (½ loop of the Olympic 10 km Marathon Swim course)
- 1 loop of the Olympic Triathlon swim course (1.5 kilometers)
- 3 loops of the Olympic 10 km Marathon Swim course (5 kilometers)
- 6 loops of the Olympic 10 km Marathon Swim course (10 kilometers)
Register for the 2012 Global Open Water Swimming Conference in Long Beach, CA.
[SlideDeck id='1522' width='100%' height='260px']