The 10km professional marathon swim was held in beautiful Lac Mégantic in Québec, Canada.
In contrast to other races on the FINA 10Km Marathon Swimming World Cup, each swimmer was accompanied by a kayak with a trained escort who was responsible for course direction and feeding the swimmer over the point-to-point course. This course configuration led to the immediate elimination of the large packs of swimmers that typically forms. Near the 5 km mark, a long line of swimmers and a smaller splinter group opted to swim different lines to the finish. When the two groups merged, Drattsev had a 60m lead that he never surrendered to second-place Reichert or third-place Allan Do Carmo.
Throughout the course, the swimmers were enthusiastically supported by fans onshore and in marine vessels of all sorts.
The final results:
1. Evgeny Drattsev (RUS) 1:59:02.42
2. Christian Reichert (GER) 1:59:40.59
3. Allan Do Carmo (BRA) 2:00:00.26
4. Trent Grimsey (AUS) 2:00:02.49
5. Davy Billiau (BEL) 2:02:13.05
6. Samuel De Bona (BRA) 2:02:13.36
7. Matheus Evanglista (BRA) 2:02:15.61
8. Evgenij Pop Acev (MKD) 2:02:19.03
9. Victor Colonese (BRA) 2:02:33.22
10. Xavier Desharnais (CAN) 2:02:41.59
11. Aimeson King (CAN) 2:06:10.66
12. Luciano Martin Sales Rubio (ARG) 2:06:22.88
13. Felipe Gonçalves (BRA) 2:07:06.98
14. Victor Simoes (BRA) 2:11:20.04
15. Nicolas Matte-Savard (CAN) 2:11:37.22
16. Samuel Matte (CAN) 2:11:45.15
17. Filippo Pupulin (ITA) 2:11:48.87
18. Gabriel Pouliot (CAN) 2:14:16.66
19. Brandon Johnson (USA) 2:14:18.87
Copyright © 2012 by Open Water Source
Register for FREE and see content that is not accessible to the general public.
Better yet, join Open Water Source as a Premium Member and get full access instantly.
See What You’re Missing!
Subscription Amount: $5.99/month
Access All Premium Content!
Open Water Source… Your complete source for open water swimming.
Register for a Chance to Win a Vacation!
|Open Water Podcast||Presenting the Open Water Vacation Giveaway|
The Open Water Vacation Giveaway is provided courtesy of Open Water Source. Winners will be randomly selected from among those who register in advance for the 2012 Global Open Water Swimming Conference in Long Beach, California (September 21-23, 2012).
Click HERE for more information about the conference.
[SlideDeck id='7594' width='100%' height='300px']
[SlideDeck id='3697' width='100%' height='300px']
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 23rd
North side beach at Marine Stadium in Long Beach starting at 9:00 AM
- 100-meter newcomer swim
- 800-meter swim (½ loop of the Olympic 10 km Marathon Swim course)
- 1 loop of the Olympic Triathlon swim course (1.5 kilometers)
- 3 loops of the Olympic 10 km Marathon Swim course (5 kilometers)
- 6 loops of the Olympic 10 km Marathon Swim course (10 kilometers)
Register for the 2012 Global Open Water Swimming Conference in Long Beach, CA.
[SlideDeck id='1522' width='100%' height='260px']