Diana Nyad had three individuals from Miami (Dr. E. Willis Weyers, University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, Fellow in Anesthesiology and Critical Care), Mike Letter, P.A. University of Miami Sports Medicine and Orthopedics, and Dr. Gabriel Sarah, University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, Senior Resident in Anesthesiology) on her escort boats.
They brought a number of medicines and tools that can be used if there is an emergency on Nyad’s Cuba swim, from surgical procedures due to a shark encounter to asthma attacks.
The equipment they have at their disposal to treat Nyad or her escort crew in case of an emergency include the following:
• ACLS medications: Epinephrine/Atropine/Lidocaine/Amiodarone
• Vasopressors: Vasopressin/Norepinephrine/Phenylephrine
• Asthma Rx: albuterol/levoalbuterol/ipratropium/magnesium/corticosteroids
• Antibiotics: Cefazolin/Clindamycin
• Oxygen tanks/ETT/OPA/CO2 calorimetry
• Nebulizers/Neb machine
• Surgical: Laceration trays/wound care topical antibiotics/trauma dressings/splints/IV supplies: Multiple 1L bags -LR/NS/D5 0.45%NS/ D50% Ampules
• Intubating kits and emergency airway supplied incl. tracheostomy kit
• Anesthesics: Etomidate/Succinycholine/rocuronium/Propofol/BZD’s/IV lidocaine for local anesthesia and peripheral nerve block/lorazepam
• NSAID’s: Ketorolac/Ibuprofen/Acetaminophen
• Devices: Temp probe/NIBP cuffs/Stethscopes/Defibrillator/Glucometer
Copyright © 2012 by Open Water Source
Register for FREE and see content that is not accessible to the general public.
Better yet, join Open Water Source as a Premium Member and get full access instantly.
See What You’re Missing!
Subscription Amount: $5.99/month
Access All Premium Content!
Open Water Source… Your complete source for open water swimming.
Register for a Chance to Win a Vacation!
|Open Water Podcast||Presenting the Open Water Vacation Giveaway|
The Open Water Vacation Giveaway is provided courtesy of Open Water Source. Winners will be randomly selected from among those who register in advance for the 2012 Global Open Water Swimming Conference in Long Beach, California (September 21-23, 2012).
Click HERE for more information about the conference.
[SlideDeck id='7594' width='100%' height='300px']
[SlideDeck id='3697' width='100%' height='300px']
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 23rd
North side beach at Marine Stadium in Long Beach starting at 9:00 AM
- 100-meter newcomer swim
- 800-meter swim (½ loop of the Olympic 10 km Marathon Swim course)
- 1 loop of the Olympic Triathlon swim course (1.5 kilometers)
- 3 loops of the Olympic 10 km Marathon Swim course (5 kilometers)
- 6 loops of the Olympic 10 km Marathon Swim course (10 kilometers)
Register for the 2012 Global Open Water Swimming Conference in Long Beach, CA.
[SlideDeck id='1522' width='100%' height='260px']