Channel swimmers do it. Marathon swimmers do it. Professional swimmers do it. Coaches do it all the time
And so do evidently thousands of adult swimmers do it: Logging their miles swum during training in the pool and open water.
3,378 U.S. Masters Swimming members are currently participating in the Go The Distance program. They voluntarily log their workouts in the Go The Distance online database.
GTD is a self-directed, honor system intended to encourage adult swimmers to regularly exercise and track their training progress in the pool and open water throughout the calendar year. Each athlete tracks the distance they swim on their online Fitness Log (FLOG). They can compare their own efforts on a year-to-year basis and compare themselves to everyone else or simply among those of their same age and gender. When certain milestones are achieved, the athlete is recognized on the U.S. Masters Swimming website and will receive special prizes from Nike Swim.
In 2012, 3-time defending champion Don Tatzin will be dethroned by Timothy Martin who is averaging nearly a full marathon swim on a daily basis (5.61 miles or 9869 yards per day). In 2009, Don Tatzin won with 1543 miles (2485 km) as well as in 2010 with 1,789 miles (2879 km) and in 2011 with 1,731 miles (2781 km).
Martin looks like he will also overtake distance set by Carrie Kostopulos-Doebler in 2008 with 2000.32 miles (3218 km).
To date, the distances swum by the top 15 individuals is as follows:
1. Timothy Martin (47) 1840 miles or 2961 km
2. John Kuzmkowski (58) 1524 miles or 2452 km
3. Don Tatzin (60) 1379 miles or 2219 km
4. Robert Young (55) 1,270 miles or 2043 km
5. Charlotte Brynn (46) 1,187 miles or 1910 km
6. Charley Young (25) 1,126 miles or 1812 km
7. Susan Preston (50) 1,106 miles or 1779 km
8. Harm-Jan Steenhuis (45) 1,091 miles or 1755 km
9. Shirley Loftus-Charley (61) 1,086 miles or 1747 km
10. Brian McLaughlin (57) 1,059 miles or 1704 km
11. Harriet Wall (70) 1,052 miles or 1693 km
12. Jean Carlson (50) 1,050 miles or 1689 km
13. Lexie Kelly (25) 1,045 miles or 1681 km
14. Thomas Schwartz (52) 1,025 miles or 1649 km
15. Larry Hartley (52) 1,004 miles or 1615 km
Copyright © 2012 by Open Water Source
Register for FREE and see content that is not accessible to the general public.
Better yet, join Open Water Source as a Premium Member and get full access instantly.
See What You’re Missing!
Subscription Amount: $5.99/month
Access All Premium Content!
Open Water Source… Your complete source for open water swimming.
[SlideDeck id='1522' width='100%' height='260px']
|Voting is open! See the Complete List of WOWSA Nominees in all four categories.
An Inspirational Cause… A Successful Event
SWIM ACROSS AMERICA, LONG BEACH
THE DRAMA OF THE SPORT
Entering an event is free. If you are an event manager, we would like to have all your events in the event database so we can patronize your events and boost your numbers!
More people swim than play football, run, cycle, golf, tennis or just about anything else in the world!