Commemorating The Cold
Jackie Cobell‘s tattoo on her back commemorates the Bering Strait Swim, an unprecedented 6-day relay swim across the Bering Strait from Cape Dezhnev in Russia, to Cape Prince of Wales in Alaska via Big Diomede and Little Diomede Islands.
The swim started at 4:24 pm on August 5th and finished at 4:52 pm on August 11th 2013 and was selected as the 2013 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year.
The 2016 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year nominees include the following individuals and events:
1. Toshio Tominaga (Japan) Tsugaru Channel Crossing
2. Craig Dietz (Kingdom Swim Marathon Swim)
3. Sarah Thomas (USA) Lake Powell Crossing
4. Jennifer Figge (USA) Bermuda Triangle Swim
5. Pieter Christian Jongeneel Anderica (Spain) Double Manhattan Circumnavigation
6. Dan Canta (Romania) Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming
7. Sean Conway (Great Britain) Swim Leg of the World’s Longest Triathlon
8. Hudson Brothers (Great Britain) Into the Maelstrom
9. Cristian Vergara (Chile) Easter Island Circumnavigation
10. Jarrod Poort (Australia) Olympic 10K Marathon Swim
11. Javier Mérida Prieto (Spain) Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming
12. Patrick McKnight (USA) Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming
13. Spyridon Gianniotis (Greece) Olympic 10K Marathon Swim
14. Malvinas/Falklands Islands Challenge by Matías Ola (Argentina) and Jackie Cobell (Great Britain)
15. Stephanie Hopson (USA) English Channel Crossing
16. Carol Schumacher Hayden (USA) Catalina Channel Crossing
17. Vasilly Mosin (Russia) Winter Swimming
To vote for the WOWSA Awards, visit here. Online voting continues until December 31st 2016.
Copyright © 2016 by World Open Water Swimming Association
Latest posts by Steven Munatones (see all)