Gregorio Paltrinieri, Florian Wellbrock Rivalry Continues In Pool
Gregorio Paltrinieri, Florian Wellbrock Rivalry Continues In PoolCourtesy of WOWSA, Gwangju, Korea.
Florian Wellbrock of Germany won the 2019 FINA World Championships 10 km marathon swim, a victory that qualified him as the top seed for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games 10 km race – by the slimmest of margins.
Gregorio Paltrinieri of Italy also qualified for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games with a 6th place finish in the 10 km race, but he also won the 800m freestyle in a relatively comfortable margin earlier this week [see video above]. Today, he swam powerfully to become the top seed in the 1500m free in the pool at the FINA World Swimming Championships in 14:45.80.
But Wellbrock will swim right next to him in the 1500m final after qualifying second in 14:47.52.
France’s David Aubry qualified 7th in the 1500m freestyle in 14:53.38 after qualifying 10th for the 10 km marathon swim at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and finishing 3rd in the 800m freestyle.
Other open water swimmers in the 1500m freestyle included USA’s Jordan Wilimovsky (11th in 14:59.94), Hungary’s Gergely Gyurta (20th in 15:14.20), Brazil’s Diogo Villarinho (22nd in 15:15.91), USA’s Zane Grothe (26th in 15:21.43), and Greece’s Dimitrios Negris (15:25.71).
Men’s 1500m Freestyle Preliminary Results:
1. PALTRINIERI Gregorio, Italy 14:45.80
2. WELLBROCK Florian, Germany 14:47.52
3. ROMANCHUK Mykhailo, Ukraine 14:47.54 4. NORGAARD Alexander, Denmark 14:47.75
5. CHRISTIANSEN Henrik, Norway 14:50.28
6. ACERENZA Domenico, Italy 14:52.03
7. AUBRY David, France 14:53.38
8. FROLOV Sergii, Ukraine 14:55.06
Copyright © 2008 – 2019 by World Open Water Swimming Association
Latest posts by Steven Munatones (see all)
- The Olympic Marathon Swim Venue: Odaiba Marine Park - 07/27/2021
- 2020 Tokyo Olympics Men’s Marathon Swim Predictions - 07/25/2021
- 2020 Tokyo Olympics Women’s Marathon Swim Predictions - 07/25/2021