Jennifer Dutton Honored By Vermont Hall Of Fame
Charlotte Brynn, Newport, Vermont.
For more information or to send Dutton a congratulatory message, email Charlotte Brynn at firstname.lastname@example.org.VTOWSHOF Chairperson Brynn described her career in her induction statement, “Jennifer Dutton of Massachusetts is a marathon swimmer who has been swimming since she was a teenager. With a 30-year career, she is both a veteran and trail blazer in the sport. She did her first 8-mile swim across Lake Champlain in New York while she was still in high school and shows no signs of slowing down. Dutton is a long-time participant in the annual NEOWSA Kingdom 10-Mile Swim. In 2012, she completed In Search of Memphre swimming the 25-mile length of Lake Memphremagog in just over 15 hours. Since then, Dutton has completed several 25 km Border Buster swims in Lake Memphremagog, Vermont and has been a fixture on the long distance open water scene in New England and beyond, completing several impressive swims in excess of 30 miles, including an unprecedented 34-mile ABC swim of Lake Keuka in upstate New York. Dutton has completed spectacular swims: first across Torch Lake in Michigan, a gutsy crossing of Lake Tahoe, solo Lake George, a 30-plus-mile Cayuga swim and many others. She does it for herself, not for accolades and with a quiet authority. Dutton also has a deeply personal connection to Vermont. She has family living near St. Johnsbury, and she makes regular visits to the state to swim and visit. Dutton also leads as one of the best high school swimming coaches in New England and as a masterful masters swimming coach freely and quietly sharing her love and devotion to the water with many other people helping dozens of other swimmers achieve great things in Vermont waters and beyond.” Among the 51-year-old’s many achievements and accomplishments, some of her open water swimming highlights include:
- 2001: she finished 4th in the 12.9 km Boston Light Swim in Massachusetts in 6 hours 7 minutes 34 seconds.
- 2002: she finished 18th in the 11.5 km Potomac River Swim from Virginia to Maryland in 5 hours 26 minutes 36 seconds at the age of 33.
- 2005: she finished 5th in the 12.9 km Boston Light Swim in Massachusetts in 3 hours 41 minutes at the age of 36.
- 2009: she finished 20th in the 16.1 km Kingdom Swim in Lake Memphremagog, Vermont in 5 hours 40 minutes 1 second at the age of 40.
- 2010: she finished 38th in the 16.1 km Kingdom Swim in Lake Memphremagog in 5 hours 25 minutes 32 seconds at the age of 43.
- 2012: she finished 33rd in the 16.1 km Kingdom Swim in Lake Memphremagog in 5 hours 39 minutes 36 seconds at the age of 43.
- 2012: she finished 13th in the 12.9 km Boston Light Swim in 3 hours 46 minutes 1 second.
- 2012: she finished 4th in the 40.2 km In Search of Memphre in Lake Memphremagog from Vermont to Canada in 15 hours 6 minutes.
- 2013: she finished 41st in the 16.1 km Kingdom Swim in Lake Memphremagog in 5 hours 54 minutes 11 seconds at the age of 44.
- 2013: she finished a 34.2 km crossing of Lake Tahoe in California in 15 hours 30 minutes at the age of 44.
- 2014: she finished 5th in the 25 km Kingdom Swim in Lake Memphremagog in 10 hours 4 minutes 19 seconds at the age of 45.
- 2015: she finished 8th in the 25 km Kingdom Swim in Lake Memphremagog in 9 hours 18 minutes 50 seconds at the age of 46.
- 2015: she finished a 53.1 km crossing of Keuka Lake in the New York Finger Lakes in 22 hours at the age of 46.
- 2016: she finished a 51.8 km crossing of Lake George in New York in 22 hours 51 minutes.
- 2019: she had the 23rd fastest cumulative time of 15:20:05.0 in the 2019 SCAR Swim Challenge in Arizona.
- On April 24th, she finished 34th overall in the 15.2 km Saguaro Lake stage swim of the 4-day SCAR Swim Challenge in Arizona in 4:30:28.5.
- On April 25th, she finished 30th in the 14.4 km Canyon Lake stage swim of the 4-day SCAR Swim Challenge in Arizona in 4:00:27.1.
- On April 26th, she finished 23rd in the 27.3 km stage across Apache Lake on Day 3 of the 4-day S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge in Arizona in 7:34:44.5.
- On April 27th, she finished 27th in the 10 km stage across Roosevelt Lake on Day 4 of the 4-day S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge in Arizona in 4:00:26.5 at the age of 51.