John Long Inducted By Greek Lifesaving Sports Association
Courtesy of Dr. Stathis Avramidis, Greek Lifesaving Sports Association, Greece.
Dr. Stathis Avramidis, President of the Greek Lifesaving Sports Association, announced the induction of John Long from the UK as an Honorary Member, “The Greek Lifesaving Sports Association was founded in April 2020. Since then, it became the home of lifesaving sport in Greece and a respected organization with national origin and international impact. We are truly honored to be associated with such an outstanding individual as John Long. He is one of the most productive and decorated person in lifesaving of the past era and a lifelong friend.“
Long said about his induction, “Ι greatly support the work of the Greek Lifesaving Sports Association and am delighted to become an Honorary Member of the organization. The work led by Stathis and Eleftheria in Greece, through the Association, is clearly very much needed as statistics show that over 400 persons die by drowning in the country annually. This terrible waste of life is unacceptable. In my 60 years involved in the field of lifesaving, water safety and resuscitation training, from local to international level, I know that lifesaving sport is an excellent way to instruct swimmers to become efficient lifesavers and good athletes. I therefore endorse the aims of the Association. I am sure with the commitment of the leadership of the Association, the organization will go from strength to strength. I will be delighted to assist in any way I can, to progress drowning prevention initiatives in Greece.”
Dr. Avramidis explains that Long has served the field of lifesaving for over 50 years from various posts within the Royal Life Saving Society UK, the RLSS Commonwealth and the International Life Saving Federation.
- He was a retired Senior Police Officer before being appointed RLSS Commonwealth Secretary.
- He became a member, Trainer/Assessor, Treasurer, Secretary and Chairman of various RLSS UK Branches.
- During 34 years of police service he was responsible for the police life saving teams in Suffolk and Warwickshire.
- Other posts include Warwick Life Saving Club President since its formation in 1982.
- RLSS UK West Midlands Region Chairman (2001-2011).
- RLSS UK Warwickshire Branch President (2013).
- RLSS Commonwealth Secretary (1993-2010).
- RLSS Commonwealth Vice-President (2000).
- RLSS Observer of the ILS (1994-2005) and ILS Development Commission Secretary (1992-2005).
- He re-started lifesaving activities and reformed the RLSS Uganda Branch following its disbandment during the 10 years of the Idi Amin regime (1983-84).
- Patron of the Rashtriya Life Saving Society of India (2008-present).
- He holds numerous awards and recognitions including
- Albert Schweitzer Silver Medal of Merit
- RLSS UK Service Cross; RLSS British Columbia & Yukon Branch Gold Benefactors Medal.
- RLSS Alberta & North West Territories Silver Benefactor Medal.
- RLSS UK Honorary Life Governor; RLSS Canada Centenary Medal.
- RLSS UK Medal of Distinction.
- HRH Prince Michael of Kent’s Certificate of Merit.
- ILS Knight in the Order of Lifesaving.
- RLSS UK Long Service Medal.
- Hong Kong Life Saving Society Order of the Dolphin.
- King Edward VII Cup from HM Queen Elizabeth II; Ireland Medal (The Lifesaving Foundation).
The Greek Lifesaving Sports Association is a non-profit organization registered at the First Court of Athens and the only licensed organization by the Ministry of Sports – General Secretariat of Sports to operate lifesaving sport as recreation in Greece. It has Supporters, Honorary, Individual and Clubs Members in 27 countries. To celebrate the 200 years of Greek Independence (1821-2021), GLSA offers free membership opportunities. If you are an Individual, Club or Organization, click here to become part of the Association.
Copyright © 2008 – 2021 by World Open Water Swimming Association
- The Olympic Marathon Swim Venue: Odaiba Marine Park - 07/27/2021
- 2020 Tokyo Olympics Men’s Marathon Swim Predictions - 07/25/2021
- 2020 Tokyo Olympics Women’s Marathon Swim Predictions - 07/25/2021