Openwaterpedia.com is basically Wikipedia for Open Water Swimmers and Triathletes
For best results, watch this HD (High Definition) video in Full Screen mode.
Openwaterpedia.com is a unique, comprehensive, multi-lingual online reference and research tool for the endurance sports, triathlon and aquatic community.
Phase I of Openwaterpedia includes open water swimming–related information listed below. Phase 2 will come in 2012.
Anyone can enter or amend information in Openwaterpedia.
It is great for research, reference and enhancing one’s knowledge and appreciation of the sport.
- Words, terms, phrases and definitions used in the sport (e.g., feeding sticks)
- Locations and venues where open water swimming is done (e.g., Waikiki Beach)
- Open water swimming events (e.g., Midmar Mile)
- Notable and professional open water swimmers (e.g., Captain Matthew Webb)
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame inductees (e.g., Dr. Harry Huffaker)
- Channel and marathon swimmers of all ages, abilities and countries.
- Equipment, tools, devices and methodologies (e.g., GPS)
- Eco-swims and charity swims (e.g., Swim Across America)
- World marathon swimming records (i.e., over 10K in distance)
- World open water swimming records (i.e., under 10K in distance)
- Sponsors of open water swimmers or events (e.g., Cadiz)
- Manufacturers of open water swimming equipment (e.g., blueseventy)
- Vendors to the open water swimming community (e.g., SwimTrek)
- Open water swimming and triathlon coaches
- Governing bodies (e.g., Channel Swimming Association)
- Major anniversary dates (e.g., 1875, when English Channel was first crossed)
- Websites (e.g., Flowers Sea Swim)
- Escort pilots and administrators (e.g., Michael Oram)
- Members of the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming
- Members of the Half Century Clubs
- Names and biographies of any open water swimmer and triathlete of any age, ability, background and country
- Open water swimming Facebook Groups, online forums, Google Groups and teams (e.g., ‘Night Train Swimmers’]
- Open water swimming YouTube and Vimeo video links
- learn the most commonly used terms, definitions, words, places and things used in the world of open water swimming.
- add and modify information on the Who’s Who of open water swimming and up-and-comers, including themselves.
- research who are the professional marathon swimmers of modern times and who was in the sport back in 1872.
- add the names of people who join the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming, the Half Century Clubs, the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame and those who crossed the English Channel and the Catalina Channel.
- learn the details of the thousands of open water races, events, camps and clinics around the world.
Copyright © 2011 by Open Water Source