Simon Griffiths Explains ‘Just Doing It’ On WOWSA Live
Simon Griffiths Explains ‘Just Doing It’ On WOWSA LiveCourtesy of KAATSU Global, Huntington Beach, California.
Former engineer and competitive swimmer Simon Griffiths is the publisher and founder of Outdoor Swimmer Magazine – the signature publication in the open water swimming world.
Ned Denison of the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame interviewed Griffiths on today’s WOWSA Live program. Griffiths recounted the following.
* starting H2Open Magazine in 2011 and rebranded to Outdoor Swimmer Magazine 3 years ago
* focusing initially on competitive events at the magazine and then gradually shifting to wild swimming and other non-competitive niches in the open water community
* starting his entrepreneurial activities with a Google search on ‘how to start a magazine’
* working with historian Elaine Howley, Olympic medalist Cassandra Patten and many other contributors over the years
* explaining the fundamental differences between triathletes and open water swimmers
* trying to keep up with the global open water swimming event listings
* actively going after stories about disabled swimming and becoming more inclusive and helping establish role models
* addressing controversies from Diana Nyad’s crossing of the Straits of Florida to adding wetsuits in FINA competitions
* dealing with the impact of the coronavirus lockdown and having to furlough staff while doubling online traffic, partly due to Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s support of outdoor swimming
For more information on or how to subscribe to Outdoor Swimmer Magazine, visit outdoorswimmer.com.
Copyright © 2008 – 2020 by World Open Water Swimming Association