Unique Awards In The Open Water Swimming World, Part 11
Unique Awards In The Open Water Swimming World, Part 11Courtesy of Diego López, Nevis to St. Kitts Cross-Channel Swim, Caribbean Sea.
Swimming the Narrows is the name of the game in the Nevis to St. Kitts Cross-Channel Swim, a 4 km inter-island swim from Nevis to St. Kitts in the Lesser Antilles in the Caribbean Sea.
Otherwise known as the Bente Weber Memorial Swim, the world’s shortest competitive channel competition gives unique sea turtle trophies as awards.
2017 Top 10 Results:
1. Ashley Whitney (36) 55:28
2. Gregory White (49) 55:49
3. Keri-Anne Payne (29) 56:17
4. Kevin Pollman (36) 57:16
5. Rick Schumacher (53) 59:29
6. Diego López (35) 1:00:33 [shown above]
7. Erik Spit (30) 1:01:56
8. Tom Gean (54) 1:02:23
9. Eney Jones (56) 1:02:49
10. John Massiah (35) 1:05:34
Winston Crooke, President of the St. Kitts and Nevis Triathlon, explains who Bente was, the namesake of the race “Bente and Gerd Weber, who both had a huge impact on the development of our young Cycle and Triathlon Club in Nevis, started visiting Nevis for their winters. Gerd was a competitive masters swimmer and taught us all how to swim properly and better, myself included. Meanwhile, Bente took over most of our club administration and timed our events.
They were visitors to Nevis over a period of 5 years, staying here for 4 months a year. Under their guidance, we were able to make the transfer to become fully fledged triathletes and our swimming improved immensely. Unfortunately, we lost Bente to cancer so I decided to host an event in her memory each year. It started as just a group of friends and visitors and has grown each year since. We still miss her energy, enthusiasm and overall good-naturedness.”
For more information about the next event in March 2019, visit here.
* Belt buckles at the SCAR Swim Challenge in Arizona, USA: see here
* Conch trophies at the Race For The Conch Eco-SeaSwim in Turks & Caicos: see here
* Walking sticks and woodals at the Kingdom Swim in Vermont: see here
* Paper crown for Ice Kilometers swimmers at the IISA Ireland National Championships: see here
* For Triple Crowners (English Channel + Catalina Channel + Around Manhattan Island): see here
* MSF Spork + MSF Navigator Award from the MSF: see here
* Cherrywood plaque for South End Rowing Club members for their North Channel crossing: see here
* For H20PLAY Swim Series winners: see here
* For 2-way North Channel relay from Northern Ireland to Scotland and back to Northern Ireland: see here
* For Hawaiian Christmas Looong Distance Invitational Rough-H2O Swim finishers on Oahu: see here
* For finishers of the Nevis to St. Kitts Cross-Channel Swim: see here
* English Channel award for Shubham Vanmali: see here
* Unique fish awards at the Los Cabos Open Water Challenge: see here.
* Rhinoceros trophy for the Midmar Mile 8 Mile Charity Club: see here.
* North Channel crossing by the Irish Long Distance Swimming Association: see here.
* Gaston Memorial Swim awards: see here.
* English Channel plaque by the City of Dover: see here
Copyright © 2008 – 2018 by World Open Water Swimming Association
Latest posts by Steven Munatones (see all)
- Life or Death in the Aegean Sea Is Just Part of The Ordeal - 11/29/2022
- Snehan Neethirajan Anusa Does a Double Crossing of the Palk Strait - 11/27/2022
- Details of the Coral Swim by Lewis Pugh - 11/27/2022