Warning, this event was expired!
According to the written works of Ancient Historians, Skyllias and his daughter Hydna, were the very first “marathon swimmers” to ever be acknowledged globally. The story of Skyllias and Hydna describes that after several admirable diving achievements the two historical figures were arrested in 480 B.C. by Persians that wanted to use the pair of proficient divers for an extensive exploration of underwater treasures from Ancient-Greek shipwrecks. Subsequently, the historical swimmers realized that Persians planned on using them in an upcoming naval combat in Artemision, meaning that Skyllias and Hydna would have to face their Greek compatriots. After understanding the plan of the Persian forces, the Ancient-Greek heroes jumped into the sea, sliced the ropes from the anchors of Persian ships and started swimming towards Artemision in order to inform the Greek Naval Forces.
The historical achievements of Skyllias and Hydna have been recorded from Herodotus, “The Father of History”, who has praised them for their unique swimming ability and the importance of the information they offered to the Greeks, allowing the Naval Forces to prepare for their upcoming Naval Battles and their eventual triumph. Hence, in this way the first-ever long-distance swim was recorded 2500 years ago, as Herodotus claimed that the two swimmers covered approximately 80 cables or 9 nautical miles!
In honour of the first long-distance swimmers to be recorded, the “The Authentic Marathon Swim” event, will take place in the straits of Artemision – the location of the historical Naval Battle between the Greek and Persian forces, on July 2-4, 2021. Hence, the open-water swimming event provides swimmers of the modern era with an opportunity of replicating the historical achievement of Skyllias and Hydna by swimming over the shipwrecks of the historical Artemisium Naval Battle. The event includes 10km, 5km, 3km, 1.5km and 800m (for kids) open water swimming races at Pefki, Evia of the Municipality of Istiaia-Edipsos.
General Terms & Conditions:
Registration Terms & Conditions:
· “THE AUTHENTIC MARATHON SWIM” and the Organizing Committee have the right to suspend, or close registrations without prior notice.
· Registration to any of “THE AUTHENTIC MARATHON SWIM” races is possible only through the online registration platform available in the official event’s website, or by any alternative way indicated by the Organizing Committee.
· A registration is considered valid on the condition that it has been successfully submitted as stated above and that the registration fee, as determined on the date of registration, is successfully paid, while the amount of the registration fee has been credited to the organizers’ accounts.
· Changes on confirmed registrations (swimmers’ replacement, change of race etc.) are not possible under any circumstances after the closure of registration period, for any of the event’s races, or after a certain date determined by the Organizing Committee.
· Cancellations of confirmed registrations are only possible in accordance to the cancellation policy of the event, as indicated in this term. Refund of the total amount is approved in case of non-participation notice latest by 31/05/2021. Organization has the right to proceed to any changes (dates, routes) in case of extreme weather conditions or force majeure in order to facilitate and ensure the safety of the athletes. In the unlikely case of a race or the event in total being cancelled there are no refunds given. In the case of a race or the event in total being cancelled, the organization has no responsibility for any costs incurred as a result of cancellation including any travel or accommodation costs, including your transfer to the event location.
· Participants should make the payment until 31/05/2021, in order to receive the full participation kit. Participants who complete their registration after 31/05/2021, might not get an official timing or receive the full participation kit (t-shirt, bag etc.)
· Post confirmation of the registration, no further change regarding the selected t-shirt size of the swimmer is possible (in case of confirmed registration in the Advanced or Full Registration Level).
Race Bibs & Kits Collection Terms & Conditions:
· Race bibs and kits are personally collected by the registered swimmers themselves and only from the event’s Registration Centre during the days and hours announced. The registered swimmer needs to present a valid identification document (ID card, passport etc.). A registered swimmer may authorize another person to collect his/her race bib on his/her behalf from the event’s Registration Centre, as mentioned above, presenting an authorization by the registered swimmer on the responsibility, of the latter, as well as a copy of the ID card or other legal identification document (for example passport, driving license) of the registered swimmer.
· In order to collect race bibs and race kits, it is required, in addition to presenting ID card or other legal identification document (eg passport, driving license) of the registered swimmer, to also present a copy of the “bib number notification e-mail” that states the swimmer’s race bib, and is sent to all registered swimmers.
· Swimmer replacement(s), and/or change in the selected race, are not possible under any circumstances during collection of race bib and kits at the event’s Registration Centre. Only validation of the swimmer’s data and update of his/her personal information is possible at that stage.
· Race bibs and kits are not sent anywhere, under any circumstances, either by regular mail or any other way to their rightful swimmer, before, during, or after the operating days and hours of the event’s Registration Centre.
· Race bibs and kits that are not properly collected during the operating days and hours of the event’s Registration Centre, may not be collected under no circumstances thereafter.
Participation (Race Day) Terms & Conditions
· Participants are obliged to strictly follow the instructions of the organizers, volunteers, and event’s staff, including calls to abandon the course and stop the race.
· Any breach or non-compliance with the race regulations announced by “THE AUTHENTIC MARATHON SWIM” result in the disqualification of the participant from the event and erasure from the race results without any kind of compensation.
· The race bib is personal and may not be conveyed, transferred, or be given to another swimmer under any circumstances.
· Participants are obliged to read and respect the instructions provided by the Organizing Committee of the event, either electronically, or in printed format (such as Medical & Technical Instructions, Race Manual) and which have been announced in the official website of the event.
· Access to the racecourse, and the areas at the start/finish of the event is not permitted under any circumstances, to non-registered swimmers.
· There is no time limit to finish the 10km Swimming Race.
· The time limit to finish the 5km Swimming Race is set to thirty (30) minutes after the finish of the first swimmer.
· The time limit to finish the 3km Swimming Race is set to thirty (30) minutes after the finish of the first swimmer.
· The time limit to finish the 1.5km Swimming Race is set to thirty (30) minutes after the finish of the first swimmer.
· The official time is the time from the starting signal. The net time is the time from the moment the participant passes the mat at the start line, until he/she crosses the relevant mat at the finish line.
· Swimmers will be divided in groups, depending on the total participations
· Participants in the 5km, 3km and 1.5km Swimming Races can compete with swimming goggles and swimsuit (wetsuit), however the time of those wearing swimsuit will not be included in the official results. For those who simply want to swim the use of masks-snorkel and flippers is permitted but without the official timing of the race.
· The use of wetsuit is not allowed in the 10km Swimming Race.
· Each participant of the 10km Swimming Race will be assisted by a boat.
· Each participant will use an individual float (including those of the 10 km race) otherwise he will not take part in any route.
· Participants representing the Hellenic Swimming Federation must provide their respective health certificate.
· Everyone else must provide a health certificate from a cardiologist, issued not earlier than 2 months before the event.
· The Marathon Swimming is defined as any 10km swimming race in open water by FINA regulations.
· The technical director of the race and the judges appointed by the federation can unanimously stop an athlete in the 10km who does not follow the rules of marathon swimming or if they consider that his physical integrity is endangered.
· At the 10km race, an escort can be declared for each athlete who will be on the escort boat to help the participant if and only if, the health conditions prevailing in the country on the days of the event allow it.
· The race classification results from the official finish time. The net and split time is announced only for the information of the swimmer.