From the South side of Auckland Harbour to the North side, cross the harbour just down form the Auckland Harbour Bridge to the Chelsea Sugar Works. Afterwards you can enjoy the prize giving and picnic in the grounds of the Chelsea sugar refinery, beautiful gardens.
Transport will be provided to move swimmers bags from the start to the finish, afterwards we organise groups to car pool back to the start.
This is one of the most stunning swims in the Auckland Harbour at 2.4km is perfect for the beginner to cross a channel safely, or for experienced open water swimmers to really give it a nudge and see just how fast they can go. We cater for all levels of swimmers from beginners to elite.
A 2.4km true cross-harbour swim from Masefield beach at the foot of the Harbour Bridge to the historic Chelsea Sugar factory.
When and where Date:
Sunday 28 February 2021 Assemble:
6:30 am Pt Erin Park (by the Pool), Herne Bay Start time:
8:00 am Tide:
7:47 am Nominal cutoff time:
1.5 hrs Prize giving:
Chelsea Sugar Factory, 100 Colonial Road, Birkenhead
We will provide a van to carry your bags from the start to the finish.
During prize giving, please let other swimmers know if you can give them a lift back to the start line. Please make yourself known if you need a lift back.
For the Chelsea Swim you must have undertaken appropriate training including time swimming in open water.
If you are over 12 and under 16, you will need to confirm your parent or guardian consent when you enter.
ACM has the right to decline any applicant if there are significant doubts about the entrant’s ability to complete the course.
For slower swimmers we have implemented a policy of transporting swimmers back up to the pack to reduce the spread, if you are asked please assist with this otherwise you will be asked to leave the water.
Entry fee and conditions
- The entry fee is $60
- By entering the event entrants acknowledge the terms and conditions of entry.
- Enter the 2.4km Chelsea Swim online using your credit card through our secure server. You will receive confirmation of your entry by return email.
- If you wish to withdraw before the event your registration fee will be refunded only if written notice of your withdrawal is received by the organiser at least one day before the event. An Administration Fee of $20 will be charged for withdrawal.
- If the race is cancelled because of bad weather please note that your registration fee will not be refunded.
- Online entries close midnight on the Thursday before the race.
- The cost of a late entry on the day is $80.
Prizes and trophies
There will also be a spot prize draw for all those present at prize giving.
The following trophies are awarded through the Ponsonby Amateur Swimming and Life Saving Club.
Competition for these trophies is open to registered members of recognised swimming clubs, registered surf club swimmers and recognised School groups aged under 25 years.
- Mazzolini Cup and miniatures for the fastest non-wetsuit male swimmer
- Osbourne Cup and miniatures for the fastest non-wetsuit female swimmer
- Chelsea Cup and miniatures for fastest male & woman wetsuit swimmers