Warning, this event was expired!
The Mighty Mac Swim is an epic 4-mile swim acrossthe beautiful Straits of Mackinac between Michigan’s upper and lower peninsulas, alongside the majestic Mackinac Bridge. This celebrated annual event is both challenging and awe-inspiring! Internationally sanctioned by the World Open Water Swimming Association (WOWSA) and a member of the Global Swim Series (GSS), the Mighty Mac Swim has been placed prominently on the world stage.
The Mighty Mac swim is held as a competition, but whether or not you wish to race, everyone who makes it across the Straits of Mackinac is indeed a champion! Make no mistake, this is a “bucket-list” experience!
Oh, how we have grown! Oh, how we have broken down barriers! The Straits of Mackinac area is rich in history involving Native American inhabitants, French settlers, fur traders, missionaries, British & American fortresses and the building of a bridge which once seemed inconceivable. “Finheads,” as Mighty Mac swimmers are affectionately called, have raised the bar and introduced to the masses a once unthinkable alternative to crossing the Straits via the bridge spanning above them … a more romantic way, fueled by adrenaline. Finheads now have a place in Straits of Mackinac historical lore!
Experience the exciting new tradition of the Mighty Mac Swim! Join the next big adventure by registering below. Be a Finhead!
Here is What You Get!
- The pride & satisfaction of completing a true “bucket list” swim!
- Unique and coveted Finhead trophies for the overall top three male and female finishers. The male & female gold medalists are invited back the following year for free to defend their titles. Handsome Finhead age-group medals (3 deep, male & female) and FiIN-isher’s medals for all who reach Michigan’s upper peninsula (also make great Christmas tree ornaments).
- Induction into the soon-to-be-established Mighty Mac Swim Hall of Fame for overall champions, multi-time age-group medalists & multi-time finishers. Details are forthcoming!
- Participation in the Mighty Mac Swim earns you global ranking points in the Global Swim Series!
- Pre-swim sunrise cruise aboard Star Line’s Ottawa to the Mackinac Bridge and a 5-6 foot jump from the ferry deck. This experience is topped only by the swim itself!
- Mighty Mac Swim athletic jersey (You can only earn a jersey through participating in the Mighty Mac Swim. These will never be for sale to non-Finheads. Other merchandise is available for purchase in our Shop).
- Logoed Mighty Mac Swim latex cap
- Mighty Mac Swim bumper sticker
- The Straits of Mackinac area is famous for its’ fudge. For as long as we have an Official Fudge sponsor, packets must have fudge!
- Finish line buffet with extensive menu (complimentary to swimmers)
- Private refreshment tent for swimmers in secured finish area
- Swimmer Informational Meeting in conjunction with packet pick-up to answer all of your questions
- Download great photos of your Mighty Mac Swim experience from our Facebook page. In addition to action photos (i.e. crossing the finish line), our photographers will take posed photos of you showing off your medal with family & friends in front of the Mackinac Bridge.
- Downloadable sample training schedule and strategy
- The Mighty Mac Swim participates with RaceJoy, so your family & friends can track your progress during the swim using the RaceJoy mobile tracking application.
- Connect with fellow Finheads to network and share your workouts through the Mighty Mac Swim Facebook Group & Mighty Mac Swim STRAVA Club.
- Steep discounts on Aquaman wetsuits, open water swim buoy/dry bags and other swim accessories (including goggles, neoprene socks & hoods).
- Discounted lodging
- Special offers from area attractions
- Saturday night fireworks over the water in St. Ignace. We can’t take credit for this one, but you will enjoy it (if you’re not already in bed)!
- Priority Registration: 2021 registration opens for returning 2020 swimmers 48 hours before public registration. Registration for waitlisted swimmers opens 24 hours before opening to the public. Waitlisted swimmers who serve as an event volunteer will be bumped up to 48-hour priority status with the returning swimmers.