The North Bondi Classic takes place within the boundaries of the iconic Bondi Beach in Sydney, Australia! It has been one of the prime races on the Sydney ocean swims events calendar since the mid ’90’s! Proof of that is the fact that over 2,000 swimmers swim this race every year!
With a 1km and 2km option for age groups in 5 year intervals and a “Back of the Pack” group who can use flippers, snorkels, wetsuits or other flotation devices to give then confidence to take part – it is a true community swim.
This year there will also be a “couples division.” Great prizes for the couples division as well as a random draw for everyone for a “trip for two to Hawaii!”
Bondi Beach is one of the most famous beaches in the world and a National Heritage site! The race is put on by the North Bondi Surf Lifesaving Club, which has been around since 1907. Bondi Beach is known for is swimming and surfing and only 7 km from downtown Sydney. With all this going for it, it is not a hard sell for locals, or visitors, to make this a “must” open water race!
Things you need to know…
- Event – The North Bondi Classic
- Organiser – North Bondi SLSC
- Distance – 2km (min. age 14), 1km (min. age 10)
- Venue – North Bondi, Sydney eastern suburbs, registration and swim HQ at surf club
- Time/Date – Sunday, February 14, 2021, 9:15am (1km), 10:30am (2km)
- Registration – Race day – 8am until 15 minutes prior to the start of your first event
- Entry fee – Basic entry $40 for either swim
- Covid-19 restrictions – Note that, due to Covid-19 restrictions, it is not permissible to do both swims, unfortunately. Swimmers who seek to get around this ruling by entering each swim separately will have their 2nd entry withdrawn and the entry fee refunded (less a $10 admin fee).
- Back of the Pack – These swims offer Back of the Pack for swimmers who prefer to swim with aids such as fins, snorkels and wetsuits. If you intend to swim with such an aid, please choose this category at online entry.
- Prizes – This event offers prizes to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd M/F in each age category.
- Wetsuit policy – Organisers say, If the water temperature is below 18 degrees on the day of the swim, then the organisers will allow participants to wear wetsuits in all categories. The water temperature will be taken by the Bondi Lifeguards in the morning. Organisers say they will not allow swimmers to wear FINA-approved suits.
- Online entries close – 4pm, Saturday, February 13, 2021, NB: Online entries only to this event, unless Covid restrictions change beforhand, ie no entries accepted on race day.
- Under 18 swimmers – Parents/guardians of swimmers aged under 18 must complete the online entry form, not the swimmers themselves. They must include their consent to the entry with full name and phone contact. Just a phone number, a first name, or a number and first name will not do. Entries of U18 swimmers are not complete without this complete parental/guardian consent. Entries of U18 swimmers must use the parent’s email, address, not that of the U18 entrant.
- Conditions – Bondi beach faces sou’-sou’-east and takes a wave, with shifting banks, gutters and rips. Many of you will have seen this on the telly, although usually there’s hardly a wave when they put those cameras on the rescue mals. But North Bondi sits in a relatively gentle corner of the beach, protected by Ben Buckler, the northern headland and rock shelf. There’s usually a strong run-out right in the corner, which is useful for getting through the break. But stay away from that run-out on the way back in. It means, though, that both the start and finish at North Bondi generally a relatively benign. Sure, there are banks and gutters, but not as severe as farther towards the other end of the beach.
- Mimimum age – 10 (1km) and 14 (2km)